Cathie Griffith - Not all Books are Made from Paper!
Come along to a 2 day workshop with ATASDA and explore some ideas and techniques to make small books from fabric.
This is the day we will make samples of some fabric book structures using a kit which will be provided for each participant at a cost of $20. Like a dressmaker makes a toile or sample from Calico when making a garment to ensure correct fit etc, we are going to make toiles for different binding methods for books. The kit includes all the materials needed to make your samples, pre-cut to size so we can achieve our finished samples quickly and efficiently on the first day.
Fabric Books can be made for a variety of purposes like children books, gifts, artists books, memory keepers, travel journals etc Bring along your own fabric stash, laces, trims, braids, buttons, theme related materials etc to create your own personalised books. On this day you will be working independently at your own pace, creating one or many books for yourself or as gifts. The tutor will be present to answer any questions you may have. This is a great opportunity to use up odd bits and pieces you have at home and haven’t been able to think how you might use them. Start a bag now of odds and ends which you may like to incorporate into your books!
This workshop can be completed by hand or machine or a combination of the two. If you want to use a machine, it may be easier to bring your own. There will be an ATASDA machine and an iron set up on the day to share. Also, bring along a basic sewing kit, including fabric scissors, needles, pins, a variety of threads, eg Machine threads, Stranded cotton, Perle threads and any others you like working with. Don’t buy any special threads…just what you have at home. A cutting mat, roller cutter and ruler may also be handy and you may wish to bring your own iron if you prefer.
Let's explore lots of possibilities for fabric books!
If you are a current member, you will need to login to book at member prices.
All participants must be double vaccinated, and have no symptoms of COVID, to attend ATASDA events.
|Date||Sat 18th Feb 2023 9:30 am|
|End Date||Sun 19th Feb 2023 4:30 pm|
|Price||ATASDA Members $200 Non-members $250 Materials Fee $20|
|Location||Epping Creative Centre|
- Pay a deposit to secure your place in a workshop as they fill quickly
- The deposit of $31 for a one day workshop and $62 for a two day workshop is non-refundable
- Remainder of payment is due 4 weeks before the workshop
- Non-members pay a higher price for workshops so join now to get the members’ rate
- Non-members are not included in ballots if the demand is greater than available places
- For Textile Tasters, full payment is required when you register.
Material fee to be paid directly to the tutor at the workshop.
- Bring your own lunch and mug, morning and afternoon tea is provided
- Please arrive early so you are unpacked and ready to start at 9.30am
- Tutors finish teaching at 4pm, so everyone can help with the cleanup. Participants leave at 4.30pm each day.
We may take photographs during the workshop for use in ATASDA promotional material. If you do not want to be photographed please advise the workshop helper at sign-in.
Before taking photographs for your own records, check with the workshop helper first, as some tutors do not allow photography.
It is your responsibility to provide any personal protective and/or safety equipment required for the workshop, e.g. safety glasses, facemask, gloves. See workshop requirements list for additional items.
Please email NSW Workshops before you book if you have special needs e.g. wheelchair access.
- If a workshop is cancelled by ATASDA your workshop fee will be refunded
- Can't attend? You may be able to gift your enrolment, please contact NSW Workshops
- If you cancel up to 4 weeks prior to the workshop your payments, minus the deposit, will be refunded
- If you have to cancel within four weeks of the workshop due to extenuating circumstances, a partial refund may be given, please contact NSW Workshops