Tara Axford - Creating your Sense of Place
This 2 day workshop explores how to create a series of collage based artworks that combines elements to give a sense of place. Participants are invited to bring a handful of reference images of a place they have visited, or is special to them, that will serve as starting points.
Day 1 Using our reference, we will look at textures, colours and mood as inspiration and use this to make mono prints using a gel plate. We will also look at experimenting with mixed media and mark making in creating other pieces to use in our collages.
Day 2 Editing our mono prints we will look at bringing it all together to create a series of small artworks which distill the essence of a place. We will aim to capture the vibe rather than produce realistic representations. Using the principles of design we will create collaged pieces that can be used as the basis for other works, ie: textiles or paintings.
As a mixed media artist working with monoprints, collage, fabric, thread and photography, Tara draws inspiration from her surrounds - both natural and urban. She seeks patterns, textures, imperfections. The forgotten, the weathered, the discarded appeal to her.
Tara's current practice is to explore her surroundings, a sense of place. She likes to ‘zoom in’ on an environment and work with that. That could mean photographing found objects, ‘foraged’ natural elements and the discarded - arranging it to be seen in a different way. She enjoys abstracting the essence of a place to create something new. So the viewer can also experience something they may have previously overlooked, with fresh eyes.
For more visit: taraaxford.com
Image credits: Tara Axford & students from Tara's previous workshops
If you are a current member, you will need to login to book at member prices.
All participants must be double vaccinated, and have no symptoms of COVID, to attend ATASDA events.
|Date||Sat 28th Oct 2023 9:30 am|
|End Date||Sun 29th Oct 2023 4:30 pm|
|Price||ATASDA Members $200 Non-members $250 Materials Fee TBC|
|Location||Epping Creative Centre - Mathews Room|
On the day
- Pay a deposit to secure your place in a workshop as they fill quickly
- The deposit of $31 for a one day workshop and $62 for a two day workshop is non-refundable
- Remainder of payment is due 4 weeks before the workshop
- Non-members pay a higher price for workshops so join now to get the members’ rate
- Non-members are not included in ballots if the demand is greater than available places
- For Textile Tasters, full payment is required when you register.
Material fee to be paid directly to the tutor at the workshop.
On the day
- Bring your own lunch and mug, morning and afternoon tea is provided
- Please arrive early so you are unpacked and ready to start at 9.30am
- Tutors finish teaching at 4pm, so everyone can help with the cleanup. Participants leave at 4.30pm each day.
We may take photographs during the workshop for use in ATASDA promotional material. If you do not want to be photographed please advise the workshop helper at sign-in.
Before taking photographs for your own records, check with the workshop helper first, as some tutors do not allow photography.
It is your responsibility to provide any personal protective and/or safety equipment required for the workshop, e.g. safety glasses, facemask, gloves. See workshop requirements list for additional items.
Please email NSW Workshops before you book if you have special needs e.g. wheelchair access.
- If a workshop is cancelled by ATASDA your workshop fee will be refunded
- Can't attend? You may be able to gift your enrolment, please contact NSW Workshops
- If you cancel up to 4 weeks prior to the workshop your payments, minus the deposit, will be refunded
- If you have to cancel within four weeks of the workshop due to extenuating circumstances, a partial refund may be given, please contact NSW Workshops