Mary Brown - Celebrating the Seventies
Have you noticed that garments like floaty maxi dresses, flared pants, ponchos are de rigueur today?
There is a resurgence of patchwork, embroidery, crochet and knitting. This is a full revival of the 1970s!
In this workshop Mary will demonstrate the techniques in Surface Stitching, Applique, Goldwork and Bead & Sequin Embroidery that were so loved in 1970s fashion and textiles. You will have hands-on experience after each demonstration.
Mary will kit up materials for Goldwork and Bead and Sequin Embroidery, but if you have a stash of these materials, do bring them to the workshop. Gather embroidery threads and knitting yarns, offcuts of materials for appliques and fabric to work on. Pack notepad, pen, pencil, a frame, scissors and the usual embroidery accoutrements. A detailed Requirements List will be sent out to participants closer to the workshop.
Mary Brown was a Visual Arts Teacher in Senior Colleges for 25 years and a Sessional Lecturer in the Fashion & Textile Department at UTS for 10 years. After doing the Certificated Course at the Royal School of Needlework at Hampton Court UK, she joined the Embroiderers’ Guild NSW, eventually becoming one of their tutors. She designed and is the coordinator of the 2 year modular Contemporary Stitch and Design Course at the Guild. Currently she is curator artist for an exhibition at the Guild at the end of 2022.
|Date||Sat 19th Feb 2022 9:30 am|
|End Date||Sun 20th Feb 2022 4:30 pm|
|Price||ATASDA Members $180 Non-members $230 Materials Fee Approx $25|
|Location||Epping Creative Centre|
- Pay a deposit to secure your place in a workshop as they fill quickly
- The deposit of $31 for a one day workshop and $62 for a two day workshop is non-refundable
- Remainder of payment is due 4 weeks before the workshop
- Non-members pay a higher price for workshops so join now to get the members’ rate
- Non-members are not included in ballots if the demand is greater than available places
- For Textile Tasters, full payment is required when you register.
Material fee to be paid directly to the tutor at the workshop.
- Bring your own lunch and mug, morning and afternoon tea is provided
- Please arrive early so you are unpacked and ready to start at 9.30am
- Tutors finish teaching at 4pm, so everyone can help with the cleanup. Participants leave at 4.30pm each day.
We may take photographs during the workshop for use in ATASDA promotional material. If you do not want to be photographed please advise the workshop helper at sign-in.
Before taking photographs for your own records, check with the workshop helper first, as some tutors do not allow photography.
It is your responsibility to provide any personal protective and/or safety equipment required for the workshop, e.g. safety glasses, facemask, gloves. See workshop requirements list for additional items.
Please email NSW Workshops before you book if you have special needs e.g. wheelchair access.
- If a workshop is cancelled by ATASDA your workshop fee will be refunded
- Can't attend? You may be able to gift your enrolment, please contact NSW Workshops
- If you cancel up to 4 weeks prior to the workshop your payments, minus the deposit, will be refunded
- If you have to cancel within four weeks of the workshop due to extenuating circumstances, a partial refund may be given, please contact NSW Workshops